Thursday, May 20, 2010

Fyrinnae - Lip Lustres


I received my first Fyrinnae order two days ago, and I've been busting to show you all!  I'm still playing with the shadows, but I wanted to show you all the Lip Lustres I picked up.  These really surprised me - I wasn't prepared for the texture at all!  Imagine a liquid lipstick, but with a 'dry' feeling.  That's the best I can describe it. They feel 'dry' to wear as well, and although the stronger colours leave a stain you will still see a transfer onto your coffee cup (or Diet Coke bottle if you're like me!).  They've packed a lot of pigment into these tubes though, so what you see is what you get on your lips.

The other surprise was the scent - some were barely fragrant, some were so strong they made me sick.  If you're sensitive to scented products I'd be wary.

First up - Bare Shoulders.



This was pretty, a bit of a mauve/pink shimmer through what otherwise would just be a nude.  I could wear this easily, except for one thing - the Cafe Au Lait smell.  Oh god, it's gross.  My stomach was churning as I put it on.  And then the smell lingered as I wore it.  Such a shame.

Next, let me introduce you to Lollipop-Pop.



Pretty in pink with a blue shimmer twist.  I'm not a pink kinda gal, but this will be pretty to layer over others.  The scent was lychee - not bad, it was bearable.  Very strong again.  Why does it have to be so strong?  :(

Now it's Meloncholy.



It's a strong coral, which the site warns can lean to orange but almost brings out brown tones on my lips.  Too strong for me, but I'm going to sheer this down and I think I'll be onto a winner.  Scent is melon (funny about that), but was nowhere near as strong as the first two.  Thank god.

Aah, my favourite - Romantique.



Oh god, this is so pretty.  So pretty!  Described on the site as a 'semi-sheer soft warm pink with gold shimmer', it's just gorgeous.  I'd wear this with other colours, but just as easily on its own.  Would be interesting on the cheeks too... must try that out!  Toasted Marshmallow scent smelt more like coffee, but wasn't as potent as Bare Shoulders and disappeared quickly.

Now, to cross over to the dark side!  I grabbed some vampy shades to test out application as well as to compare to the Lip Tars (which many bloggers have drawn similarities between the two).

This is Diabolical Masquerade.



Disappointed.  I was hoping for a stronger red or glitter component, but in real life it just looks black.  And the application was pretty patchy.  The worst part?  THIS was the unscented one!  WHY couldn't it have been Bare Shoulders?

Lastly, it's the jet-black Monochrome.


Again - patchy application, even worse than before.  Once the gloss dries a bit it's rather unremarkable.  If I want jet-black lips I'll go for Tarred Lip Tar every time.  I'll use this to layer perhaps, but otherwise I don't recommend.

Overall there were some winners and losers, but the biggest request I have of Fyrinnae would to be make ALL the Lustres unscented.  It's so offputting.  And I'll steer clear of any of the darker colours.  I'll only purchase these if I see a really unique colour, but otherwise a traditional lipstick or gloss would be more comfortable to wear.

Keep an eye out for my Fyrinnae shadow swatches - no disappointments there!
Which one was your favourite?

No comments: