Wednesday, March 10, 2010

40 Questions!

Since I have misplaced my camera battery charger (*WAIL*) I thought I'd give this a try.  It's really just a ploy to buy myself more time.  I have SO many things I want to show you all... but I want pretty pictures first!

And somehow it has become 42 questions... it's like the Chinese Whispers of the internet :)

1) How many times do you wash your face daily?
Twice.  Once in the morning with a foaming cleanser in the shower, and once at night with a facial wipe.  I find if I use water twice a day my skin gets very dehydrated.  Which then makes me sad.

2) What skin type do you have?
Mainly oily and prone to breakouts, with dryness on the outer cheeks.  It's a bit beyond combination, so I usually choose products suitable for oily skin.  I can also be sensitive, but I've never figured out the trigger.

3) What is your current facial wash?
Garnier Anti-Dullness Foaming Gel.  I really love this, and not just because I can get it at the supermarket.  It takes off all my makeup without stripping the skin too much.  But I think it's been discontinued, so the hunt will be on for a replacement.

4) Do you exfoliate?
Absolutely.  I love it.  Although this is where the sensitivity comes in - anything grainy or rough and my face will start to burn.  I only exfoliate when I feel the need (again, the sensitivity) but my skin feels like magic after.

5) What brand do you use?
My current favourite is Dermalogica Microexfoliant. I've had mine for YEARS and it's still going.

6) What moisturiser do you use?
Garnier Nutritionist Moisturiser with SPF15+.  This was on special and thought I would give it a try.  It's nice, but god forbid you get the tiniest amount in your eyes - sting city.

7) Do you have freckles?
No, not really.  And if I did they're hidden underneath the redness on my nose and cheeks.

8) Do you use eye cream?
No.  And that is really bad.  But I've tried them, and I just don't see any benefit.  But at the ripe old age of 27 I really should start.  *adds it to the already-extensive wishlist*

9) Do you or did you have acne prone skin?
My skin was easily the worst in my group at high school.  It wasn't full-blown acne (thank god) but there was ALWAYS serious breakouts happening.  I think it was a mix of oily skin, youthful hormones and trying to remedy it with strong face products that just made it worse (Clean & Clear - I'm looking at you!).  Now I still get the occasional breakout and blackheads are still an issue, but it's much better than it used to be.

10) Did you ever have to use Pro-Activ?
My sister used it for a while and I gave it a test run - ouch!  BURNING!!!

~ Make-up ~

11) What foundation do you use?
Graftobian HD cream foundation in Vixen, which is becoming way too dark for me as I'm not in the sun so much anymore.  It's an oil-based foundation, but as it is 'good' oil (like lanolin) it's actually moisturising for me.  I was just noticing this morning how clear my skin was.  Can be a pain to apply (hint: Beuaty Blender) but it has the coverage I want and with a good powder it stays all day.  And it's only $20 a pop!

12) How about concealer?
I use my Graftobian foundation as a concealer, but just apply it with my fingers for heavier coverage.  I'm big on streamlining.

13) Do you know your undertone colour?
I think I'm fairly neutral, probably leaning towards a slight yellow undertone.  Put anything pink-based on my face and I just look horrid.  And it accentuates the redness in my skin.  Ick.

14) What do you think of fake eyelashes?
ADORE.  My natural lashes are long but very sparse, so I use falsies on special occasions to create fullness.  Every woman should learn to wear false lashes.  And I do say learn, because it's not just the application that's tricky - it's getting used to having something weighing down your eyes.  Sounds strange, but you know what I mean.  Then again I wear the lovely thick ones, so maybe it's just me with that problem!!

15) Did you know you were supposed to change your mascara every 3 months?
Yes I do know that.  I am religious about changing the mascara in my kit, but on myself - not so much.  If it doesn't smell weird and it still works, I'm holding onto it until a magazine comes out with a free mascara :)

16) What brand of mascara do you use?
I'm a mascara tart, I have no loyalty whatsoever.  Favourites for myself include Maybelline Colossal Volume and Oradess Lash Confidence (review coming soon).  For my kit I use Maybelline Great Lash - I know I know, everyone says how terrible it is, but when you consider that I'm using disposable wands and I only brush a small amount of product on, it's actually a great formulation.  Very buildable, and a nice dark black.

17) Sephora or Mac?
Australia doesn't have Sephora, and I only buy MAC after I've been to a Masterclass and have redeemable product.  So... I suppose MAC by default?

18) Do you have a Mac Pro card?
Yes, but only for access to Masterclasses.  My kit has all sorts of brands so I can usually find what I want at a cheaper price in another brand.  Sorry MAC, but you're very expensive in Australia!

19) What makeup tools do you use in makeup application?
On myself - Beauty Blender for foundation, fingers for concealer, brushes for pretty much everything else.
On clients - Beauty Blender, disposable mascara wands, and brushes.  No fingers if I can help it.

20) Do you use makeup base/primer for the eyes?
On myself no, since I'm lazy and usually I'm just going to sit in an office where nobody cares how I look.  On clients I use Gorgeous Cosmetics iPrime, but only because it came in my kit.  Looking into MAC Paint Pots or Fluidline (yes, Fluidline!) as my next experiment - I like how they already add the base colour, rather than something like UDPP which is clear and you need to add colour onto that.  Sounds silly, but time is everything.

21) For the face?
Again - for myself no, but I'm lazy and haven't found a primer that I adore.  On clients I use Graftobian Anti-Shine.

22) What is your favourite eyeshadow colour or shade?
Just one?  Really?  I have to say that the Yaby Neutrals palette has every colour I would ever want (for myself).

23) Do you use pencil or liquid liner?
Both, and gel as well.  Pencil is quick, but when I wear liquid I usually wear no eyeshadow and just let the liner do the talking.  Gel is amazing on clients, as it is more versatile and can give a pencil OR a liquid look in the one product

24) How often do you poke your eyes with an eyeliner pencil?
Not often... actually I can't remember ever doing this! It's usually the mascara wand that gets me :S

25) What do you think of pigment eyeshadows?
Sorry, not a fan.  Too messy for me, lots of cleanup not just on the face but in my kit as well.  Pressed shadows keep things cleaner and easier.

26) Do you use mineral makeup?
No.  Tried it, hated it.  Just doesn't give me the coverage.  And it photographs terribly!

27) What is your favourite lipstick?
I'm only wearing lip balm at the moment, but if I break out lip colour it's usually liner and a gloss.  I do love the texture of the one MAC lipstick that I own though.

28) How about lipgloss?
I've got Napoleon Lip Lacquer in my kit which is great for a wet look but it's super sticky, and the Gorgeous Cosmetics glosses are nothing to rave about.  But I've recently ordered some that a local MUA stocks, so I'll let you know how they go :)

29) What is your favourite blush to use?
Benefit Coralista is a go-to if my redness is really blocked out, otherwise I use the light peach tones in the Yaby palette.

30) Do you buy your makeup on Ebay?
I have, yes!  But never a 'brand' item as there are too many fakes.  I got my 88 palette (original matte one) and my black gel liner, both of which are great

31) Do you like drugstore makeup?
Absolutely!  It's all about what works for you.  And I don't want to pay top dollar for certain items that have a short shelf-life or you can't tell the difference anyway.  Maybelline mascaras are great, Prestige liquid liners are awesome and I have a Rimmel lip gloss that I adore.

32) Do you go to CCO's?Cosmetic Company Outlet?
No, but I only know of one in Brisbane and you have to donate a kidney to get in.  But I'm not fussed by the brands stocked there anyway, so it's no big loss.

33) Did you ever consider taking makeup classes?
Does a five month Certificate IV in Makeup count?  No?  Ok, well I've also taken two MAC Masterclasses and one Makeup and Glow workshop as well as hairstyling training.

34) Are you clumsy in putting on makeup?
YES!  On myself anyway.  Unless I have a makeup gig or I'm going out I just don't put the effort in - bad I know!

35) Name a makeup crime that you hate?
Just one?  Well, at the moment I have 'brandists' - people who judge me as a MUA based on the brands I stock.  Usually it's the fact I don't have a lot of MAC.  It really bothers me that consumers believe that one single brand is superior over all.  Product is only part of the equation - application tools and technique play an equal part.
My other pet hate is people who wear eye makeup but no mascara - WHY would you do that??

36) Do you like colourful shades of makeup (lipstick or eyeshadow) or neutral ones?
With eyeshadow I play with both.  Neutrals are easy to do, but brights add a sense of fun to your look.  It's rare that I wear anything other than lip balm because I'm a messy person in general and can't maintain a gorgeous red lip without getting it on my chin or forgetting to touch it up.

37) Which celebrity always has great makeup?
Wow, this is hard since many celebrities have hit-or-miss moments.  In general I think Anne Hathaway always looks stunning and Kate Hudson does casual like nobody else.  But the ultimate perfection in makeup has to go to Dita Von Teese - she's just incredible.  She even wears a full face of makeup to work out - that's my kinda gal!!

38) If you could leave the house using just ONE makeup item, what would you use?
Some type of skin coverage, either foundation or concealer.  Nobody needs to see my skin bare!

39) Could you leave the house without any makeup on?
I've done it but I feel really uncomfortable.  My boyfriend gets frustrated with it, but the redness in my skin seriously looks like I've just had a bad reaction to something.  And my eyes look lost without something to define them.  So even if it's just foundation and mascara I'm happy.

40) Do you think you look good even without any makeup on?
No way, I think I look really plain.  And like I've had a reaction to something.

41) In your opinion what is the BEST makeup line?
I hate this question... I'm going to exclude foundation from this since I believe that it is the one thing that is SO personal that you can't hold yourself to one brand for that.  For the rest I love Yaby - I have all three eyeshadow palettes, two blush palettes and some cake liners and I love them all.

42) What do you think of makeup?
Aside from the fact that it's my career, I think makeup is powerful.  It can change your overall look, your attitude to the day ahead and even your attitude to yourself.  It's also a chance to show your individuality and have a little bit of fun.  Don't take it too seriously - it washes off!

3 comments:

*Kozziosko* said...

love this :)
Hey so Mac Masterclasses, never heard of them - can you give me some info??

Hannah said...

@*Kozziosko*
I'll send you an email :)

*Kozziosko* said...

ooh yes please do :)